Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Jammin' Classic Read! The Outsiders


 
Hinton, S. E. (2007). The outsiders (40th Anniversary ed.). New York: Viking.

New York Herald Tribune Best Teenage Books List, 1967
Chicago Tribune Book World Spring Book Festival Honor Book, 1967
Media and Methods Maxi Award, 1975
ALA Best Young Adult Books, 1975
Massachusetts Children's Book Award, 1979
  
Annotation: A boy and his gang of brothers survive the best they can without parents.

This is a story written by a teen about teens that form a gang to use as a surrogate family. The main character Ponyboy is truly without parents but does have 2 older brothers. These three boys along with a few friends that all live in the projects have formed a gang called the Greasers. The Greasers nemesis gang are the Socs. The Socs are boys and their gals that are social elites. Through out the book the two groups clash and this leads to a final “rumble” over territory. Swagger over to your nearest library and pick up or download a copy to read today!

Malik age 17, Houston, Texas


We were assigned this book to read for my English class, so of course I figured that it wasn't goin' to be very good, so I tossed it in my locker for safe keepin', not plannin' on reading it. Then when I get to class and other kids start talkin' about the book. It sounds interestin'. As I begin to read I can see myself in Ponyboy. I really thought that it was cool to think that the book was written forty years ago. You could tell by the cars and stuff but the action of the characters were like today. I really did enjoy the story.

Bookcover: www.randomhouse.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment